Unit Elections & Eligibility Guidelines
Each year, current OA members visit area Scout troops to run elections for OA candidates. For a scout to be eligible to stand for election, he must meet the following criteria:
- Active member of his troop
- Must demonstrate Scout spirit
- Have attained the rank of First Class or higher
- Completed 15 nights camping since registering as a Boy Scout and within the preceding 2 years. This must include one long term (summer camp) of at least 6 nights.
- Have the approval of his unit leader
At the time of the election, at least 50% of the active troop youth must be present. All eligible members will be listed on the ballot. Scouts secretly vote for each candidate independently, and may affirm all, some, or none of the candidates for OA membership.
Scouts that get a minimum of 50% of the votes cast will be candidates for Order of the Arrow membership.
You do not immediately find out if you were elected. You find out if you were elected at the next Camp-o-ree, when you are “Tapped Out”
If you were voted into the Order of the Arrow, you will find out at Camp-o-ree. In the evening on Saturday, if you were elected, you will be “Tapped Out” signifying that your peers found you to be deserving of joining Scouting’s Honor Society, the Order of the Arrow. You are now a candidate to the Order of the Arrow. To become a full member, they must complete the next step, Ordeal.